I Live To Fish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Live To Fish

Your LEADING online Fishing community for fishing information, tips and much more.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Captain Jim's latest Lake Cumberland Striper report

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Captain Jim Durham

Captain Jim's latest Lake Cumberland Striper report Empty
PostSubject: Captain Jim's latest Lake Cumberland Striper report   Captain Jim's latest Lake Cumberland Striper report Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 9:21 pm

CAPTAIN JIM'S LATEST STRIPER FISHING REPORT!

THE LAKE CUMBERLAND STRIPER FISHING REPORT
By Captain Jim Durham – StriperFun Guide Service

DATE OF REPORT: April 7, 2008

Greetings to my readers! It has been 3 weeks since my last report. Sorry I have been away so long (busy fishing!). I hope the world finds you and your family doing well!

ACTIVITY / CURRENT REPORT

It is here!!! Now is the “magic time” for which we all wait for every year!

Sure, the winter bite was great this year (as most years). Sure, we caught a lot of big fish this winter and were cold doing it (but happy!).

But now it is spring time and we are nailing numbers “and” big fish! Kapow!! Kabam!! The reels have been screaming with big fish taking massive yards of line before our customers put them in the boat. Striper “Fun” at its best!!

Just check out my website (look at recent catches) for some of last weeks massive catches (4 fish over 30 pounds)!

The spring pattern is text book. The fish are in the main lake and/or mouths of the creeks (where the water is warmer and because their food the shad is there). They are staging from the mouth of the creek to 500 yards out in the main lake and are bunched up nicely into huge schools. Always remember, where the shad run so do the Striper! You may have to hunt with your fish finder for a while. Do not be afraid to spend some time doing this before putting your lines out. Pay close attention to your fish finder to watch for large schools of shad. Once you locate large schools of shad, the Stripers will be close by (even if you do not mark them).

The fish are still averaging about 17 pounds are all very fat and healthy! On some days, you may not catch as many “numbers” of Stripers this time of year. But you can catch some nice quality trophies. Just stay focused! If you get a big hit, be sure to let him run at least 5 to 7 seconds to get the bait hooked solid.

If you catch a Striper less than 24 inches, try to keep it in the water, get the hook out of it and release it ASAP to give it the best chance to live (if you do not do this, the fish will likely die).

We are pulling planer boards on mild/windless days in 30 to 75 feet of water with the live bait set on the boards and corks out the back from the surface to 20 feet deep. Go to the mouth of the creek and “pull out” towards the main lake until you find them!

On low pressure (cold/windy) days the fish move out deeper. On these days, we are pulling the middle of the creeks near the mouth and the main lake using planer boards and using down lines in 45 to 90 feet of water with the live bait set on the boards and corks from the 20 feet deep to 55 feet deep.

If you find a school, you may have to position the boat over them and try to stay on them. On a windy day, you may be better off not using planer boards, but rather just use all "down lines" as it is easier to stay positioned over top of the fish this way.

We also still jigging hammered spoons and Cumberland Pro hair jigs when these big “waves” of fish come through.

I demonstrate these techniques on “Striper Fish like a Pro” Volume # 2.

Striper fishing at its best!

StriperFun Guide Service now has (4) guides to serve your charter needs. We can handle large group and corporate outings!

If you want to catch Monster Stripers this winter (when we catch major trophies), then you better book soon! All of StriperFun’s guide boats are covered and heated as well, so come see us. As always, all our guides are licensed and fully insured.

We are booking heavy. However, we still have some availability for weekend and weekday trips in April (but call soon). Come enjoy the terrific early spring fishing! The prime May and June dates are booking up as well, so do not wait too long to lock in your weekend trip!

Come to my website to click to my report to read the full report!

Sincerely,

Captain Jim Durham
Toll free 866-575-3770
United States Coast Guard
Merchant Marine Officer License No. 1037731
Kentucky State Guide License # 007
captainjim@striperfun.com
www.striperfun.com
Service
Captain Jim's latest Lake Cumberland Striper report Althom11
Back to top Go down
http://www.striperfun.com